Modifying a Family Law Court Order

When your divorce or family law matter is finalized, the judge will enter a judgment.  The failure to comply with a court’s order can result in harsh penalties.  Sometimes a change in circumstances may make it difficult or impossible to comply with a court order.  If you are having trouble meeting the requirements of a past court order, Goodman Law Firm can help you request post-judgment (post-decree) modification.  Going back to court to modify an order is not an experience anyone looks forward too.  Nevertheless, there are many times where a modification is necessary.  Below we provide a few examples of when you may want to request a modification:

  • You lost your job and are unable to meet your child support and/or maintenance (alimony) obligations.
  • You are unable to work due to an injury or an illness and are unable to meet your support obligations.
  • Your former spouse has suffered an injury or illness and can no longer provide the same level of care for your children.
  • Your work schedule changed and you need to change your parenting time (visitation) schedule.
  • Your children’s financial needs have increased and you require more child support to meet their needs.
  • You moved and need to change your parenting time (visitation) schedule.
  • Your child’s behavior or school performance has significantly declined and you desire to change the allocation of significant decision making and/or allocation of parenting time.
  • Your needs have changed and you require more maintenance (alimony).

For more information about a specific type of modification and the standards, the court will apply you can visit our pages on child custody, parenting time, maintenance, and child support.

Experienced Oak Brook Attorney on Your Side

If you are looking for an experienced litigator in Oak Brook, Naperville, Wheaton, or Chicago, contact us today at (630) 464-6700 and request a court order modification consultation.