February 25,2018


How Do I Modify My Child Support Order?

HomeBlogModificationsHow Do I Modify My Child Support Order?

Whether you are the parent who pays or receives child support, at some point you might need to change your current order. Typical reasons for seeking a new order are that one of you is making more or less money than before, the amount of time the child spends with each parent has changed, or there are extraordinary child-rearing expenses. If you find yourself in one of these situations or have another compelling fact pattern, you are probably wondering if it’s possible to ask for a modification of my child support order.

The Process for Getting a New Child Support Order in Illinois

You must file a Petition for Modification of Child Support, alleging facts that meet the Illinois requirements to change support. You are not allowed to go to court simply because you feel like paying less or getting more support. To get a new order, you must prove to the judge that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the most recent child support order. Illinois also requires you to complete a Financial Affidavit which details your income and expenses.. The judge will compare your current forms with the papers you filed at the time of the last order to determine whether there has been a substantial financial change.

Sometimes the change is not monetary, but rather, custodial. For example, if your child was spending 75 percent of her time with your former spouse at the time of the previous support order, but for the last year, she has been staying at your house 80 percent of the time, a change of support might be appropriate.

What Qualifies as a Substantial Change in Circumstances

A judge is likely to consider these fact patterns as substantial changes in circumstances for purposes of granting a modification of the child support order:

  • A substantial increase or decrease of the paying parent’s income,
  • The child is 18 and not attending high school.
  • The child has moved out of the house of the parent who receives the support.
  • The child has an increased need for support, such as a disability.

Child Support Modification is Not a DIY Project

Child support can add up to a great deal of money over the years until your child reaches emancipation. If you are trying to win your case on your own, either seeking or trying to prevent a change in child support and there is a lawyer on the other side, you should get the advice of a lawyer. These cases can quickly turn into snarled, complicated battles, particularly if one parent owes back support or the reason for the requested modification is a change in the child’s living situation.

For more information, please contact an experienced Illinois child custody lawyer at the Goodman Law Firm to help you understand your modification options.


Facebook Twitter shop insta



Related Posts

What’s a Parenting Plan and Do I Need One?

27 Aug 2022

A parenting plan will be established in a parental responsibilities case, previously known as a custody case in Illinois. Parenting plans are helpful in legally documenting who is responsible for…

Can a Child Choose Which Parent They Want to Live With?

19 Jul 2022

While going through a divorce can be a difficult time for spouses, it can be even challenging for their children. They may have questions about who they are going to…

How to Effectively Communicate with Your Spouse During a Divorce

14 Jun 2022

If you are going through a divorce, you are going through a difficult experience. While there is nothing you can do to alter this fact, there are things you can…

Feel Free to Ask a Question

We are here to answer any questions you may have about our legal services and how we can help with your family law problem.

We make every effort to return your email
or call the same business day or within 24 hours.

At Goodman Law Firm, we take your privacy seriously. Please leave us only a private cell phone number or private email address where you may be reached.

Call Now Button