Family Law Attorney Downers Grove
Family law is a broad and important category of law that helps many families successfully address the legal hurdles they encounter. Family law matters are often more emotional than other types of cases, and it’s important to work with an attorney who understands your goals and will work with you to achieve the outcome you desire. If you have a family law concern, don’t wait to consult with an experienced family law attorney in Downers Grove.
Family Law Practice Areas
Family law can encompass all of the following legal matters:
- Divorce, including high-asset divorce, LGBTQ divorce, and military divorce
- The equitable distribution of property in divorce
- Business valuations in divorce
- Child custody arrangements
- Child support
- Modification of support and/or custody orders
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
- Establishing paternity
Divorce Matters Are a Primary Concern of Family Law
Divorce is a complicated legal matter that often includes various components of family law, including:
- Division of Marital Property – The assets that you and your spouse acquire together during your years as a married couple are considered marital property, which is to be divided equitably (or fairly in relation to the circumstances involved) in the event of divorce. While the concept is clear, executing this division is often one of the most complicated and contentious elements of divorce. This division becomes even more complicated in high-asset divorces and divorces involving business ownership. A knowledgeable family law attorney in Downers Grove can help you negotiate for a fair division of assets and debts.
- Child Custody Arrangements – Hammering out a parenting plan, which amounts to the schedule each parent has with their shared children, can become very complicated very quickly. In Illinois, parental responsibilities are divided into decision-making authority and parenting time, which replaced the prior concepts of legal and physical custody. Each form can be allocated as either sole or joint. Decision-making authority, which includes matters such as the children’s education, religious upbringing, extracurriculars, and medical care, is usually awarded to both parents, but not always. Parenting time refers to which parent the children live with (and according to what schedule). Even if one parent is designated as the primary caregiver, it is very likely that the parenting plan will include a visitation schedule for the other parent.
- Child Support– Child support calculations are based on state guidelines. These guidelines are designed to balance the required financial support between both parents post-divorce. The amount of time each parent has the children and each parent’s earnings play a role in how child support is calculated. It’s important to note that the judge also has considerable discretion when it comes to setting child support. A Downers Grove family law attorney can help you understand how these income calculations will apply to your case.
- Spousal Support (Alimony) – Alimony is called spousal support or maintenance in Illinois, and it generally refers to payments made by one ex-spouse to the other post-divorce. While alimony isn’t a factor in every divorce, it can be an important tool if the divorce will leave one spouse with a financial need and the other with the financial means to help counter this need. Many variables contribute to whether alimony is awarded and, if so, to its amount and duration.
Turn to an Experienced Family Law Attorney in Downers Grove
The accomplished Downers Grove family law attorneys at Goodman Law Firm are committed to helping you successfully resolve your family law concerns as effectively and efficiently as possible. To learn more, please don’t hesitate to contact us today.