Divorce Attorney Near Me
If you are facing a divorce and find yourself asking how do I find an experienced divorce attorney near me, you’re heading in the right direction. The fact is that divorce is a complicated legal process, and the outcome will significantly affect both your financial future and your parental rights moving forward. As such, having a dedicated divorce attorney near you in your corner is always in your best interest.
The Outcome of Your Divorce
Marriage is a legal contract, and divorce is the dissolution of this contract, which means that it is a serious legal transaction, but it is also a complicated emotional process that can leave you feeling depleted and unsure about where to turn for the help you need. Finding a knowledgeable divorce attorney with whom you are comfortable working closely can mean the difference between moving forward into your post-divorce future with confidence and not.
Your Parental Rights
Your divorce will directly affect your parental rights moving forward, and these break down into the following categories:
- Parental Responsibilities – Parental responsibilities designate who will be making important decisions for your children going forward. You and your ex can share parental responsibilities, or they can be awarded to one of you alone. Parental responsibilities relate to questions about education, religious upbringing, extracurriculars, health care, and the like.
- Parenting Time – Parenting time designates when your children are with you and when they are with your ex. The court has standard parenting time schedules in place, but if you and your divorcing spouse can find common ground, the court will almost certainly accept the individualized schedule you come up with.
- Child Support – Child support payments help ensure that both parents continue to support their minor children financially (in relation to their financial ability to do so). Because this parental responsibility is based on each parent’s earnings, the parent with the greater income generally pays child support to the other parent (even if your parenting time is shared equally).
Your Post-Divorce Financials
In addition to your parental rights, there are your financial rights to consider, and these include:
- Division of Your Marital Assets – The assets that you and your spouse acquire as a married couple are considered marital assets, and they are intended to be divided equitably (or fairly) in the event of divorce. This division can be difficult at the best of times, but if there are complicating factors, it becomes more difficult still. Such factors can include high assets, business ownership, and more.
- Spousal Maintenance – Spousal Maintenance is intended to help a spouse who is financially disadvantaged by divorce move toward increased financial independence – with the temporary financial help of his or her ex (if the ex has the means to do so). Spousal maintenance is determined on a case-by-case basis and does not play a role in every divorce.
Reach out to an Experienced Divorce Attorney Near You Today
The answer to your question – where can I find an experienced divorce attorney near me – is to look no further than Cameron H. Goodman at Goodman Law Firm in Oak Brook. To learn more about how Mr. Goodman can help you, please do not wait to contact us today.