February 1,2018

Child Support

In Focus: How to Enforce a Child Support Order

HomeBlogChild SupportIn Focus: How to Enforce a Child Support Order

In an Illinois divorce, one of the key issues that must be resolved is child support. Although both parents have an obligation to provide for the financial well-being of their children, one parent is typically required to pay child support, based on the custody arrangements. But what happens when a parent fails to fulfill his or her obligations? In this situation, a skilled divorce attorney can take legal action to enforce the child support order.

An Overview of Child Support

In the past, the courts considered a number of factors in making child support determinations. Among these were the child’s standard of living while the parents were married and the amount of each parent’s gross monthly income. The laws regarding child support in Illinois were revamped in July 2017, however.

Now, child support is calculated based on parenting time, as well as the joint income of each parent. Generally, there are three different scenarios for determining child support all of which rely on an income shares table. In any event, a child support order still requires the paying parent to make payments on a monthly basis until the child reaches adulthood.

Enforcing Child Support

Through the years, we have seen how paying parents violate child support payments. In some cases, they may consistently make payments late. On the other hand, they may not pay the full amount, or not make any payments at all. When a parent fails to make child support payments without a valid reason, it may be necessary to go to court to enforce the child support order.

The process starts by filing a legal document with the court known as a Rule to Show Cause. The presiding judge will schedule a hearing, unless discovery is needed. The non-paying parent must appear and explain why he or she has not made the payments. In some cases there may be legitimate reasons. These include, a job loss, a sudden illness, or another emergency.

If the child support order is violated without cause, however, the court may enter an order finding the non-paying party in contempt.  Although this could mean jail time for repeat offenders, the courts are typically reluctant to do this because the nonpaying spouse will not be able to earn the income necessary to make the payments.

The Takeaway

Although a parent may have a valid reason for missing or not making child support payments, those who fail to provide for their children financially must be held responsible. If you need assistance enforcing a child support order, don’t go it alone — call an experienced divorce attorney.


Facebook Twitter shop insta



Related Posts

Financially Untangling Yourself from Your Spouse

06 Jan 2021

Getting a Fair Property Settlement in your Illinois Divorce On the surface, dividing assets during a divorce may seem straightforward.  In Illinois, all marital property acquired during the marriage must…

Things You Should Know About Your Illinois Divorce

05 Jan 2021

Every divorce proceeds in unique ways, and no two are ever exactly alike. There are, however, some divorce basics that apply to every Illinois divorce. If you’re facing a divorce,…

Preparing for Your High Asset Divorce

23 Dec 2020

Divorce is complicated, but a high asset divorce is that much more so. One of the components of divorce that’s most likely to become contentious is the division of marital…

Feel Free to Ask a Question

We are here to answer any questions you may have about our legal services and how we can help with your family law problem.

We make every effort to return your email
or call the same business day or within 24 hours.

At Goodman Law Firm, we take your privacy seriously. Please leave us only a private cell phone number or private email address where you may be reached.

Call Now Button